Kids Say The Darndest Things!
Yesterday Landon had surgery and, of course, like any good Memaw, I never left his side, once he got out of the operating room. Now the last time this happened, I became too preoccupied to think clearly about posting my blog. And, once again, I feel like my brain is fried. BUT, like last time, I have a splendid solution! Since my heart is totally wrapped around my little guy, let’s have another round of “Kids Say The Darndest Things“.
I wrote about this topic earlier this year, when I spoke of an American icon, Art Linkletter, who hosted a wildly popular entertainment show, which aired first on radio, and then, finally appearing on that new fangled medium, television. Without a doubt, the crowning glory of Mr. Linkletter’s show was the segment “Kids Say The Darndest Things!” This hugely popular piece was something I LOVED watching when I was a child (you know…back in the days of King Tut), and I still laugh today, remembering the things that, somehow, managed to EXPLODE out of the mouths of all of those babes! And so, it is to my little guy, and to children everywhere, that I share the following post I received as an email on Tuesday. I dare you not to laugh! I double dare you! I TRIPLE dog dare you!
The following answers to some interesting questions, were written entirely by children!
HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHO TO MARRY?
- You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff. Like, if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports, and she should keep the chips and dip coming. Alan, age 10
- No person really decides before they grow up who they’re going to marry. God decides it all way before, and you get to find out later who you’re stuck with. Kristen, age 10
WHAT IS THE RIGHT AGE TO GET MARRIED?
- Twenty-three is the best age because you know the person FOREVER by then. Camille, age 10
HOW CAN A STRANGER TELL IF TWO PEOPLE ARE MARRIED?
- You might have to guess, based on whether they seem to be yelling at the same kids. Derrick, age 8
WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR MUM AND DAD HAVE IN COMMON?
- Both don’t want any more kids. Lori, age 8
WHAT DO MOST PEOPLE DO ON A DATE?
- Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know each other. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough. Lynnette, age 8 (isn’t she a treasure)
- On the first date, they just tell each other lies and that usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date. Martin, age 10
WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE?
- When they’re rich. Pam, age 7
- The law says you have to be eighteen, so I wouldn’t want to mess with that. Curt, age 7
- The rule goes like this: If you kiss someone, then you should marry them and have kids with them. It’s the right thing to do. Howard, age 8
IS IT BETTER TO BE SINGLE OR MARRIED?
- It’s better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need someone to clean up after them. Anita, age 9 (bless you child )
HOW WOULD THE WORLD BE DIFFERENT IF PEOPLE DIDN’T GET MARRIED?
- There sure would be a lot of kids to explain, wouldn’t there? Kelvin, age 8
And the #1 Favorite is…….
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
- Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck. Ricky, age 10
I hope you enjoyed this journey down memory lane to the land of Art Linkletter, 50’s television, and words of wisdom from all of those half pints out there who share our lives with us. I know I had a lot of fun sharing it with you! I hope that you find yourself taking something very important away with you from reading these gems from the mouths of all of those innocent angels! Make sure you take some time every single day to laugh! Have fun! Enjoy life! Never forget that as long as you are laughing, you can’t hold onto all of those worries and anxieties that seem to weigh us down once we enter the realm of adulthood! Laugh! Loudly! Often! And while you’re at it, use this opportunity to deposit all of those cares and worries squarely on the shoulders of one who is not just prepared to bear them but who will happily bear them for the opportunity of bearing witness to you walking by faith, alone. And don’t forget that while you’re walking, laugh loudly the entire time!
He will yet fill your mouth with laughter, and your lips with shouting.
Copyright © 2011-2012 “MandysPath” Ministry