The Gifts That Matter
___http://wallpaperstock.net/present_wallpapers_16482_1600x1200.jpg___You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.Kahlil Gibran
“The Prophet”___I wrote a post that included the list of gifts that don’t cost a dime almost a year ago, after reading an email copy of Godvine, a spirit filled publication that I still subscribe to today. Now Godvine is well known for offering perhaps 5 sappy videos that required a box of tissues in hand to watch, which, by the way, is right up my alley. They also ended the email then with a print story of some kind. And, like the videos, they were meant to impart an important lesson of faith in a way that compels your rapt attention to the message being shared. And, once again this is something I like so much because the style is so reflective of my own when I write my posts and thoughts every day. I have referred to these Godvine posts a number of times in the past because they never fail to leave me feeling just a bit more blessed and a lot more thankful each time I read them.___The Godvine story that appeared back then made such an impact on me that I never forgot its wisdom. I looked at it and immediately fell in love with the ideas contained in the article, “8 Gifts That Don’t Cost A Dime”. But in typical Mandy fashion, I began to think up a few of my own that I think would be the perfect gift to present to your loved one on any occasion, but especially now, since Valentine’s Day will be here in just about 2 weeks. And it is especially appropriate today, since being fiscally frugal has become the norm these days, rather than the exception! So, for those of you that did not see this article, I am sharing Godvine’s gift list and will follow up with a few of my own!___
8 Gifts That Don’t Cost a Dime
1. THE GIFT OF LISTENING… But you must REALLY listen. No interrupting, no daydreaming, no planning your response. Just listening.
2. THE GIFT OF AFFECTION… Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats on the back, and handholds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love you have for family and friends.
3. THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER… Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories. Your gift will say, “I love to laugh with you.”
4. THE GIFT OF A WRITTEN NOTE… It can be a simple “Thanks for the help” note or a full sonnet. A brief, handwritten note may be remembered for a lifetime, and may even change a life.
5. THE GIFT OF A COMPLIMENT… A simple and sincere, You look great in red,” “You did a super job,” or “That was a wonderful meal” can make someone’s day.
6. THE GIFT OF A FAVOR… Every day, go out of your way to do something kind.
7. THE GIFT OF SOLITUDE… There are times when we want nothing better than to be left alone. Be sensitive to those times and give the gift of solitude to others.
8. THE GIFT OF A CHEERFUL DISPOSITION… The easiest way to feel good is to extend a kind word to someone. Really, it’s not that hard to say, Hello or Thank You.
8 Gifts That Don’t Cost Much….If Anything!
1. THE GIFT OF YOUR TIME… Today we live such busy lives that we all too often forget that it is our life partner that will still be here with us when our days end and when our working years are over. Don’t let that become a time when we discover, sadly, that we have somehow, drifted apart.
2. THE GIFT OF MEMORIES CREATED… Don’t put off making wonderful memories with your loved ones. Entice your partner to join you in the kitchen and make an ice cream sundae for each other. Or sit and listen to some favorite music and sing along at the top of your lungs….. TOGETHER!
3. HIDE LITTLE LOVE NOTES AROUND THE HOUSE… Tape a note or card to the bathroom mirror or hide one in the refrigerator or put it under that first steaming cup of morning coffee or tea. It doesn’t matter where you decide to put it, just as long as it’s an unexpected surprise for the one you love, to start their day!
4. SURPRISE YOUR PARTNER WITH AN UNEXPECTED LUNCH… Clearing this with the boss first usually helps, but arrive, picnic basket in hand, with fruit and cheese and crackers or some other treat you both enjoy. You needn’t dine in a 4 star restaurant to make a lasting memory!
5. PLAN A SURPRISE GET TOGETHER WITH FRIENDS FOR NO REASON AT ALL… We all enjoy the time we spend together with our friends but all too often, we reserve these hosting duties for special occasions. Why not make Tuesday night your special occasion?
6. GATHER THOSE PHOTOS THAT ACCUMULATE AND BUY A DOLLAR STORE ALBUM OR FRAME… We are all guilty of storing so many special memories in a drawer. Why not dig them out, organize them and put them in your living room where you can share them with others.
7. TAKE A RIDE IN THE CAR… Just take your partner’s hand, say we’re going out together, and just drive. No cell phones, no music, no children, no distractions, no destination. Just drive….at least 30 minutes round trip….and talk! The fresh air and time spent holding hands in the car, might just evoke memories of a time of courtship, and can be so therapeutic to a relationship.
8. PRAY TOGETHER… Make sure to set apart at least one time each day, to pray together. Hold hands, close your eyes and bow your heads and thank God for all the blessings he has bestowed upon you as a family. It needn’t be long but it must be heartfelt! Sharing the intimacy of prayer as a family cements the values so carefully cultivated and assures that the one who has provided for those blessings is not forgotten!
Let’s all try to give at least one of these gifts every day, to someone whose life touches our own. I know it is often easy to overlook the seemingly simple things in these complex times in which we live. But while we might just be tempted to brush off the significance of the gift, make no mistake. That effort has the potential to make a life altering difference to the recipient of your special gift!
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
Matthew 6:19-21 ESV
Copyright © 2011-2015 “MandysPath” Ministry